Quick and Healthy White Chili!

Fast, easy, healthy, and cheap!

Fast, easy, healthy, and cheap!

This chili is typically called White Chili because it has cheese in it, making it a lighter red-orange color, and because of the white beans that are most often used. In today’s version I used aduki beans because I did not have white beans, nor did the health food section of the grocery store closest to my house for this spur of the moment dinner idea.

You will need:

5qt pot

2 jars of Medium Muir Glen Salsa

2 cans of Eden Foods aduki beans, in a BPA-free can!

3/4 of an 8oz package of Organic Valley medium cheddar cheese

1/2 of an 8oz package of Organic Valley pepper jack cheese

Optional:

Chunks of chicken from a roasted chicken

Simply put all of the ingredients in the pot and melt/cook together until the cheese is fully melted and it’s hot and tasty!

Purchasing these items was just under $22 for me, and it made enough to feed two adults and a 3-year-old a few times.

There is a lot of room for variation and making it less expensive. If you have dried beans in bulk and soak them overnight, or if you use just one cheese (monterey jack instead of the combo of cheddar and pepper jack), you will save money.  You could also make your own salsa. This is the super duper easy version and is still tasty and full of good stuff!

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Crystal

Author:Crystal

I’m Crystal. I’m a Momma, Lover/Partner, Gemini, Number 9, Vata, Fairy Goddess, Healer, doula, writer, artist, placenta remedy creator, educator and student (I teach others as I learn and both are forever happening). I do my best to live this life in every moment and maintain as much peace and balance within myself as possible. And then I remember that I am human. I feel as though I embody many different faces and with this I have a wide range of skills and interests. My number one role is that of Mother. I am (and have been since birth) with my daughter (who is currently a couple months past 3 years old) almost 24/7. We unschool so I am constantly learning! As is she. I view parenthood as the epitome of stepping outside of oneself and embodying empathy and compassion.

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

7 Comments on “Quick and Healthy White Chili!”

1. Kris
    January 28, 2013 at 10:01 am #

I always thought that the definition of white chili is a chili with no tomatoes. I was disappointed to find this wasn’t the case with this one. However, perhaps I’m wrong.

• January 28, 2013 at 1:10 pm #

I am sorry the inclusion of tomatoes was a disappointment to you. You could substitute the tomato salsa with a black bean one to eliminate tomatoes.
      The recipe is one that was found in a magazine or some other random place by father when I was young. He made some perfections to it and then I altered it when I would make it for my family because I do not eat conventional cheeses etc. When he came upon the recipe it was called White Chili so we kept that as the name when we would make it throughout my childhood.

• January 28, 2013 at 6:17 pm #

My first attempt at replying didn’t seem to show up…
      I’m sorry you were disappointed with the inclusion of tomatoes. If you want you could substitute a black bean salsa to eliminate tomatoes.
      This recipe has been in my family since I was young. My dad saw it in a magazine and made his own alterations (with experimenting with cheeses, and adding chicken). It was called “white chili” in that magazine so we carried that name forth.
      I took my dad’s version and altered it to use organic choices because my family eats differently than he does in that regard. (And yes there are many other options/recipes to make it appear and be even more “white,” or exclude the tomatoes).

2. christalle
    January 28, 2013 at 12:25 pm #

The salsa brand you used may be organic but its also an imposter. Its own by one of the big brands although I don’t remember which, and supports gmos. There are better brands not run by general mills, kellogg, etc.

• Crystal
      January 28, 2013 at 1:12 pm #

I agree that there are better brands. When I put this together I wanted to use recognizable brands that everyone may have access to rather than the ones that I can find but my friends in small towns cannot.

3. sheri
    January 30, 2013 at 7:56 pm #

Hmmmmm…… could all be tossed in a croc pot as well yes???

• February 4, 2013 at 10:06 pm #

It could be put in a crock pot. It really takes moments on the stove though which is why I wouldn’t typically suggest that. However, if you were to be having it for a party or something where things need to stay hot for long periods, a crock is a great idea!